Friday, October 19, 2007

Your recommendations, please, for a challenging Dylan compilation

Thanks to Andy Miller:

“I have a new in-law relative who said to me recently that he thought Dylan was a superb songwriter and studio musician but, I suspect on the basis of a few offhand press reviews, no great shakes as a live performer.

“He asked me to convince him otherwise. I mused on this challenge for a while but then whilst listening to, and realising again how much I love the version of Tangled Up In Blue from Paris ‘78, I hit upon a strategy.

“I’m going to make him a CD consisting of a selected studio track plus two live performances that each differ dramatically and convincingly in interpretation. So, I thought the third TUIB might perhaps come from a 1999/2000 concert?

“Do other readers think this might do the trick? And, if so, can they suggest pairings of songs that I should consider. My aim is to make a stimulating CD’s worth rather than a repetitive set of rehashes and I would like to be able to range across the 45+ years of concerts. I have a few ideas but would love to hear some other views.”