Thursday, October 18, 2007

DYLAN: an alternative track list for CD 3

Thanks to Brad Saltzberg:

“Wondering if anyone shares my opinion about disc 3 of the DYLAN box set. The first two discs, although predictable in the track selection, make sense in terms of representing Bob at his best.

“Disc 3 however is where the compilation gets curious. I don’t find this represents the best of Bob from the ‘80s onwards. My opinion is that Silvio, Under the Red Sky and especially Brownsville Girl should been left off. Also the two tracks from the acoustic albums are questionable. I can understand that the powers-that-be are looking for representation from all phases/albums, but it shouldn’t be to the detriment of the release.

“Furthermore how could they leave Mississippi off the disc? This a much stronger track than High Water in my opinion. Two or three tracks could have replaced the lengthy Brownsville Girl.

“Here is how I would have sequenced disc 3:

1. I’ll Remember You
2. Foot of Pride
3. Blind Willie McTell

4. Ring Them Bells
5. Dignity
6. Shooting Star

7. Blood In My Eyes
8. Not Dark Yet
9. Things Have Changed
10. Trying to get to Heaven
11. Make You Feel My Love
12. Moonlight
13. Mississippi
14. Po' Boy
15. Workingman’s Blues #2
16. Someday Baby
17. When The Deal Goes Down”