Monday, December 03, 2007

The Traveling Wilburys Collection revisited

Prompted by a reader’s enquiry - ‘should I buy it as a Xmas present?’ – I revisited The Traveling Wilburys Collection over the weekend. Does it stand up to scruting after all the hype’s died down?

Well, maybe. The first album is worth having. The dvd, especially the documentary, is enjoyable. But the second album (“Volume 3”)is what happens when the muse has flown. The packaging – especially the booklet – is insignificant.

As I told reader Deirdre, I’d probably buy it if I saw for about £7. But that she’s safer buying him any of the other 2007 releases:

* The Other Side Of The Mirror

* Don’t Look Back Deluxe

* DYLAN Collectors Ed.

(But not the I’m Not There soundtrack – Wilbury’s is a better bet than any covers album.)


Gerry Smith