Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Your favourite Dylan song: encore, encore

Thanks to Peter Truin:

“I'd always thought that I was, perhaps, the only one whose choice song was Sad Eyed Lady, but now I know I am not alone.

“For a long time I found it very difficult to choose just one, there are so many songs that could easily be considered a favourite while actually listening to them. For many years I thought Positively 4th Street was it, then Blind Willie McTell, then Series of Dreams, and for a short time, Not Dark Yet, and I am not too proud to admit to liking LARS.

“However, over the last few years, I have come to realise that Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, was the one that I have really preferred all along. I just love the song, from the wonderful opening bars (it's such a contrast to the preceding track on the album) through all those marvellous lyrics, to the long closing instrumental.

“When I am listening to it, despite its great length, I wish it would never end, and I am rarely able to play it just once.

“This has taken a long time to write because, of course, I had to stop to listen to the song (I couldn't concentrate on writing while listening to that superb music) and I ended up spending an hour playing it five times! Now that I have finished writing, I think I'll play it just once more ...”


And thanks to Nick Kolodziejski:

“I would have to say that Visions of Johanna would get my vote. It's sad and confusing, but in a wonderful way.”


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Which is your favourite Dylan song? Please send me a note of your top Bob song (to: topsong@dylandaily.com). I’ll post replies and, if we get enough, I’ll also compile a ranked list.

Thanks, in advance - Gerry Smith.