Thursday, February 07, 2008

Memphis Minnie blues references in Modern Times

Thanks to Vinnie Del Basso:

There are several Memphis Minnie blues references in Modern Times. Here are a couple:


THUNDER ON THE MOUNTAIN:

I was thinkin' 'bout Alicia Keys, couldn't keep from crying
When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line
I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be
I been looking for her even clear through Tennessee


Compare the Memphis Minnie song, MA RAINEY:

I was thinking about Ma Rainey, wonder where could Ma Rainey be
I was thinking about Ma Rainey, wonder where could Ma Rainey be
I been looking for her, even been 'n old Tennessee

She was born in Georgia, traveled all over this world
She was born in Georgia, traveled all over this world
And she's the best blues singer, peoples, I ever heard

When she made Bo Weavil Blues, I was living way down the line
When she made Bo Weavil Blues, I was living way down the line
Every time I hear that record, I just couldn't keep from crying


* Note 1: Minnie's tribute to Ma Rainey was recorded about six months after Ma Rainey's death;

* Note 2: Bo Weavil Blues, recorded in December 1923, was Ma Rainey's first record and it was also her first hit.



WORKING MAN'S BLUES #2:

I got a brand new suit and a brand new wife
I can live on rice and beans


Compare the song DOWN IN NEW ORLEANS:

Well, my man is a doctor and he lives off of rice and beans
Well, my man is a doctor and he lives off of rice and beans
That's why he done gone and left me back down in New Orleans

* Note 1: rice and beans, though usually "red beans and rice" is used by countless others as an evocation of "back downhome";


All lyrics quoted are used for the purpose of criticism or review.
Thunder On The Mountain, by Bob Dylan, Copyright © 2006 Special Rider Music.
Workingman’s Blues #2, by Bob Dylan, Copyright © 2006 Special Rider Music.