Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A pub rock blues band: review of last night’s London show - Europe tour news 28

Thanks to Mick Nixon:

“The view from my central second row seat gave me a fresh insight into Bob Dylan’s live performance: jerking, reacting to the music, rocking as the power increased.

“Dylan was consistently deeply intense on the reading of his words: at times tender – sometimes spitting out the rhyme – occasionally grinning - appearing to amuse himself at his vocal delivery or a personal favourite line.

“Being so close I could pick out the instruments from the stage amps – which was particularly helpful with Bob’s impressive guitar work at the beginning – the band supplied solid rhythm as he played his blue notes, picking and strumming.

“Personal highlights were Ain’t Talking and Hattie Carroll – although I have to say the band clearly enjoyed the up-tempo songs, particularly Highway 61 and Summer Days.

“Being so close to the action made me feel that I was watching a pub rock blues band in a smoky club, and, believe me, I could pay no higher compliment!”