Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Every second was pure gold: review of London last night - Europe tour news 22

Thanks to Julian Moseley:

“Over the hill? Last night's crowd yelled a thunderous ‘No’ at him as Bob played with us about his longevity in Spirit On The Water. But mostly we danced as the song and dance man played. And here's what he played:

“Cat's In The Well
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Watching The River Flow
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
The Levee's Gonna Break
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
Rollin' And Tumblin'
Spirit On The Water
Highway 61 Revisited
John Brown
When The Deal Goes Down
Most Likely You Go Your Way (and I'll Go Mine)
Ain't Talkin'
Summer Days
Like A Rolling Stone
Thunder On The Mountain
All Along The Watchtower

“All of it with his superb band looking like a gang of riverboat gamblers in their grey suits and assorted black hats. These were men not to be trifled with. Blistering guitar solos, pounding bass, delicate steel and knock-out drums. Bob started on Fender Stratocaster then moved to a Fender Rhodes.

“I had elected for seats to the left of stage and my choice was perfect as he was looking my way most of the night. It was a very personal occasion, I felt.

“He backed that up by singing Don't Think Twice, my first love from Freewheelin, my first album. And Hattie Carroll from Times They Are A-Changin’ - a song that moved me so much at fifteen that I copied out the lyrics and read them aloud in A Level English as a piece of powerful contemporary poetry.

“Highway 61 floored me. Such bite, such tight rock. It's Alright Ma was a relentless rap, which it always was I suppose. And Summer Days was pure Sun studios R&R. Of course when he sang about the Levee breaking, it wasn't just as a warning to the world about global warming or the plight of New Orleans. It was a warning about the state of the human condition - and he hadn't even heard the news about Virginia Tech at the time.

“I've only seen Bob Dylan once before, from the back of the Docklands Arena and then it was a case of guess the song as he disappeared behind your thumb. This was the way to see him, five rows back. It was like being in a small club. It cost a pound a minute and every second was pure gold.

“We howled for the encore and it came after five minutes. After Watchtower the band gathered round Bob and the lights came on. We stood and cheered and he looked at us and nodded his thanks. I have been close to Bob Dylan for forty three years. He has shaped so much of my life and been a constant guide. He has never disappointed. Tonight he was better than he has ever been.