Thursday, November 08, 2007

Basement Tapes 2008, and Live Dylan

Thanks to Wade Greiner:

“While I wholeheartedly agree that Columbia needs to do a re-release of the Basement Tapes as the next volume of the Bootleg Series, I fear that it is unlikely that it would include any covers other than traditional ones.

“Have you noticed that in the Bootleg Series and Legacy recordings as a whole they have avoided including songs that are written by anyone else who might claim copyright?

“For example, on the Gaslight Tapes there is no Hezekiah Jones. On Live 1975 there is The Water Is Wide (trad.) but no Dark as a Dungeon. The exception I can think to this is on Volume 7 - This Land is Your Land. Maybe Scorsese felt that one was just too important to leave off in documentary terms.

“But if there is a new Basement Tapes release, I am predicting only Dylan-written, Dylan co-written, and traditional tunes. (And for what it is worth, I also am of the opinion: NO OVERDUBS!)



Thanks to Sue Roney

“I was just reading the posts from October asking for recommendations for a live/studio set. I noticed one of my absolutely favourite live performances isn't listed, so my suggestion is: The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest - Cardiff, 2000.

“I'm still building my collection of live cds and as that is the only live version I've heard so far, I can't recommend a second one ... but this one is pretty hard to beat.”