Friday, August 31, 2007

Changing Of The Guards - Patti Smith excels with new cover version

I approached Twelve, Patti Smith’s new covers album, with some trepidation: I’m generally not fond of the covers genre; I normally avoid Dylan covers (unless they’re by Bryan Ferry or Van Morrison); and my admiration for Ms Smith is not unreserved.

But my, how I’ve been enjoying Twelve, and particularly the excellent Dylan track, Changing Of The Guards. Smith’s version of the iconic Street Legal opener is compelling – her insouciant style is ideally suited to the mystery and majesty of the lyrics. I found myself listening anew to a song that’s fast becoming one of my favourite Dylan compositions.

The album is chock full of tasty selections – some of the finest songs in the rockpop canon. Hell, I even like the Beatles choice!

Are You Experienced?
Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Helpless
Gimme Shelter
Within You Without You
White Rabbit
Changing Of The Guards
The Boy In The Bubble
Soul Kitchen
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Midnight Rider
Pastime Paradise


Twelve: recommended!




Gerry Smith