Monday, August 27, 2007

Best Of Bob Dylan 1978-81 - #4

Thanks to John Brooke:

Like Martin Cowan, my 'baptism' with the mighty Bob was in '81, but at the NEC, Birmingham instead of Earls Court. Unfortunately being just 19 or so, I was unsympathetic with the Gospel stuff, and it turned me off for a good long while.

Coming back to these albums with a more mature head, I discovered that I really enjoyed Shot of Love, and found more in Slow Train Coming than previously. Still can't quite swallow Saved though, apart from the couple of tracks listed below.

I have no problem with Gospel music generally (I have plenty of country & 'old-time' music that celebrates the "Christian Life") but I still don't quite like the fervent preaching on Saved.

No Time To Think
Changing of the Guard
Is Your Love in Vain
Senor
Slow Train Coming
When He Returns
In the Garden
Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
Every Grain of Sand
In the Summertime
Property of Jesus
Angelina
Caribbean Wind

Bonus Track: Every Grain of Sand (demo)