Thursday, March 22, 2007

Nobody Sings Dylan – thumbs down for multi-CD set

Thanks to John Jenkins:

“I recently came across Nobody Sings Dylan Like Dylan, the multi-CD(?R) bootleg set, on a record stall in the local market. As you said, it’s a massive collection. After persuading the stall-holder to play a few sample tracks, I can confirm that, while it has the odd jewel, it’s mostly unlistenable.

“The occasional life-enhancing cover, by people like Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello, Roger McGuinn and Conor Oberst, is drowned out by the massed ranks of tedious Americana hopefuls.

“The low point of my sample was Clapton’s Sign Language. I thought it was a spoof - it reminded me of those classic ‘70s National Lampoon parodies, with “Joan Baez” imploring ‘Pull the Triggers, N*ggers, we’re with you all the way… ‘

“I just can’t imagine anyone buying a 17 CD set like Nobody Sings Dylan. Listening for free was bad enough. Dylan Daily readers leading useful lives are advised to give it a very wide berth.”