Thursday, March 01, 2007

Nobody Sings Dylan Like Dylan: encore

Thanks to Daniel Katz:

“You said: ‘About one third of the assembled tracks in the 17 disc series look mildly interesting. The other 65% look like an endless succession of dull, grizzled guitar-strumming navel-gazers.

If I listen to this kind of mediocre, but oh-so-precious, sub-Americana for half an hour, I lose the will to live.’

“Bravo, that’s exactly how I feel about most Dylan covers, though the Dylan Police don’t like it said too loudly.

“Someone gave me a CD called A Nod To Bob – An Artists’ Tribute To Bob Dylan On His Sixtieth Birthday. I’ve played it twice. The first time, I couldn’t believe my ears; the second hearing confirmed that I’d never be listening again.

“All this stuff just proves one thing: just because it’s a great songbook doesn’t mean that any and all versions are worth hearing. CBS were dead right - nobody sings Dylan like Dylan… .”