Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tell Tale Signs: the verdict – encore #2

Thanks to Jeremy Blackstone:

“Martin Cowan deserves warm thanks for his detailed examination of the three CDs of Tell Tale Signs. While I agree with many of his conclusions, here are some where my views differ:

“CD2

* Series of Dreams – ‘in every way inferior to the previous Bootleg Series version’. Not to me; an interesting new take which underlines the song’s majesty.

* The Lonesome River – ‘A nice recording, with Dylan on fine form vocally’. I think Martin is slightly ungenerous here: musically this is the pick of the crop. The exquisite harmonies with Ralph Stanley contradict the Dylan-can’t-sing bores.

* Cross The Green Mountain – ‘late-period Dylan gem… - emotional, a cinematic tour de force. Superb.’ I like this one, but to me it falls short of epic status.

“More disagreements - about songs on CD3 - to follow.”

… to be continued…