Wednesday, October 03, 2007

New Dylan releases: unsatisfactory

Thanks to Lol Drake:

“I’ve found most Dylan releases of 2007 unsatisfactory and wanted to check whether my reaction is shared by Dylan Daily readers.

“The De Luxe version of Don’t Look Back was a really satisfying new Dylan product. But I ignored the other two – Wilburys and the new compilation. I have all that music already. Why would I want to buy it over again? Aren’t those extra booklets/packaging simply overpriced bits of nothing?

“And the more I look at the forthcoming new DVD of Newport 1963-65, the less inclined I feel to buy it. It looks like it has some great Dylan performances. But why have they spoilt it by including all the stuff by people I just can’t stand – Baez in particular, but also J Cash and PP&M? The 1964 gig, in particular, only has 2 of 7 tracks which are pure Bob.

“Any other Dylan nut around here feeling short-changed?”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here’s the The Other Side Of The Mirror tracklist Lol is complaining about; it’s easy to see why he’s unimpressed. I’ll be tempted to watch the DVD with finger poised on the skip button on the remote control:


The Other Side Of The Mirror DVD

All I Really Want To Do (1965)

1963:
North Country Blues
With God on Our Side (with Joan Baez)
Talkin' World War III Blues
Who Killed Davey Moore?
Only a Pawn in Their Game
Blowin' in the Wind (with the Freedom Singers, Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary)

1964:
Mr. Tambourine Man
Johnny Cash, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Joan Baez, Mary Hamilton
It Ain't Me, Babe (with Joan Baez)
Joan Baez interview
With God on Our Side (with Joan Baez)
Chimes of Freedom

1965:
If You Gotta Go, Go Now
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Rehearsal (with electric band)
Maggie's Farm (with electric band)
Like a Rolling Stone (with electric band)
Mr. Tambourine Man
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue