Monday, January 01, 2007

Tickets for Dylan Brit shows still on sale

I was surprised to see the UK shows on Bob Dylan’s spring 2007 tour advertised in today’s Sunday Times.

The tickets – for five April shows (11 Glasgow, 12 Newcastle, 14 Sheffield, 15 London, and 17 Birmingham) – went on sale on Friday 8 December. With Dylan reaching unprecedented levels of popularity in England in 2006, I had expected all five venues to sell out rapidly.

Admittedly, they’re all arena venues for 15-20,000 audiences; maybe venues that size always take several weeks to sell out?

But I wonder - just wonder - whether the Bob shows are starting to come up against consumer resistance? I’d expect the generic rock fans, those recently enrolled on the Dylan bandwagon, and newbies curious to check out what all the fuss is about, to be buying tickets in droves.

But I wonder whether some hardcore fans are beginning to opt out of the Never Ending Tour? I am, and I know a few others who will be.

Why? Quite simple: unsuitable venues. I used to shell out silly money to see shows in venues not fit for serious musical enjoyment. Not any more. Henceforth, Dylan, and anyone else, will need to play decent venues to get my gig dollar. If they play arenas, they’ll be doing it without little old me.



Gerry Smith